Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Veteran Museum


The Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana holds a wealth of information. 

From records that detail Native American communities to the recent renovations to downtown Indiana, the historical society has it all. On October 8, I made a visit to the society and decided to visit the Veteran Museum. Here, artifacts and memorabilia portray Indiana County history.  The Memorial to the Veterans includes military displays from past wars. Here, I met the director and coordinator of the museum, Collen. I introduced myself to her, stating the purpose as to why I inquired more information on the park and Colleen was more than happy to show me some archival data and newspaper clippings about the park, which I used the information gathered for the history of Memorial Park. Any additional archival information can be found at Indiana Genealogical Society. I inquired about the museum upstairs and that is where our informal interview took place. Colleen told me about talked about the various artifacts around the room. Colleen pointed to the various military artifacts that the historical society had obtained, many of which were voluntary donations from members of the community.  One such artifact that was given to the society was a black and white photograph that was taken in Okinawa, Japan in 1945. This now laminated photography was featured in TIME magazine in 1945. The picture itself, surprisingly, was taken by a local Indiana County man, serving in WWII.  Along with the many pictorial artifacts, the museum also included relics dating all the way back from the French and Indian War.

 












No comments:

Post a Comment